Location: The Cott Inn, Dartington, Totnes
Time of visit: July 18th 2013
Food eaten (meat choice): Beefburger and fries: 12.95
Food eaten (vegetarian choice) Potato gnocci with pea shoots, peas, spinach, parmesan and truffle oil £10.95
Overall rating 7/10
Overall rating 7/10
The venue
A beautiful thatched beast of a venue with ample indoor and
outdoor seating. There aren't too many places like this anymore, and they’re
certainly proud of their heritage.
8/10
8/10
The Hog
(Beefburger and skinny fries)
Now I apologise if this becomes a little bit of an obsessive
trend, but I’ve been in search of the ‘perfect burger’ for many years, and it’s
a task I’m dedicated too. My number one burger has been sitting comfortably in
that position for 12 years+ now, and although there have been some good
contenders, nothing has come close. So, you’ve guessed it, I ordered their burger;
specifically a “Homemade beefburger, pancetta and gruyère cheese on a ciabatta
roll with skinny fries”.
I always look forward to the thought of somebody wowing me
with simple food done right, but unfortunately the outcome is often disappointing,
and this was no exception. After checking with staff that this was indeed made
from minced steak, I of course asked the question: ‘can I have it medium rare?’.
The answer was an enthusiastic yes, and it had to be said for such a hot busy
day, the staff were on the whole fantastic.
A good plate of food arrived, and I eagerly cut into the
burger to find an overcooked dry mess of meat. It’s too common; so many restaurants
are scared about serving up a pink burger and would rather cremate it.
Nevertheless, after weighing up my options and given the
influx of diners, I felt it would be too much hassle to cause any fuss, so
proceeded to eat.
The chips were light, crispy and tastily seasoned, and the
pancetta/cheese combination is always going to be a winner. The ciabatta roll
was a pleasant change from "the norm", but despite this, the overpowering taste
was the relatively bland mince and chunks of onion. I think even given this
burger as medium rare like I requested, it wouldn’t have tantalised my taste
buds much further. I expected more from what was quite a hefty price tag for a
burger, and given the quality looking food being presented around me.
5/10
The Hedge
(Gnocchi)
They say the simple things in life are the best and this dish was no
exception.
I'm a big fan of gnocchi but it's not something you normally see on a menu
down here in the south.
Luckily the rapid growth of vegetarianism in this country is seeing
restaurants, cafes and pubs alike branching out to provide a vegetarian
selection, meaning I come home from dining out satisfied, rather than
wondering why I just paid so much for something I can make myself at home.
So, to the gnocchi, a really happy offering on the Cott Inn specials board. In fact the vegetarian selection was good, leaving me with a rare choice of meals.
The gnocchi itself was cooked perfectly; not too soft or 'mushy' with a
wonderful flavour of peas, spinach, truffle oil and a hint of Parmesan. The spinach just wilting on
the top. All the ingredients were fresh, distinctive, cooked perfectly and made for
a wonderful combination; a great summers day dish and presented as well as gnocchi can be.
Truffle oil is one of my favourite things and it was a rare treat indeed to
see it on the menu in a small Devon country pub!
If I had to pick a negative of the dish, I would say the puddle of oil left
in the bottom of my bowl at the end of the meal was unnecessary and made the
last few pieces of gnocchi slightly greasy.
Having said this, I would happily
pay the £10.95 the dish cost and completely devour another bowl of it, if it were offered to me
again.
9/10
Overall
The Hedge and Hog say: “There's evidently good food to be found here from this beautiful venue, and the Gnocchi is no exception, but the basics still need some work. Steer clear of the ‘burgerrrrgh’ for now!”
7/10


No comments:
Post a Comment